Is it time to head down to the used car dealer and pick out your next vehicle? Not so fast! There are a few simple steps that all buyers should follow to ensure they make a smart purchase decision. Here's a quick checklist, including all the steps we'd recommend before you visit the used car dealer of your choice.
1. Make a list of your needs and non-negotiablesâ€¦ for instance, if you really need a car that comfortably seats five people, if you require something with great fuel efficiency, if off-roading capability is important to you, etc.
2. Use Google to research different cars and come up with a list of three to five makes and models. Bring this list to the used car dealer!
3. Use resources like KBB to research the basic price range for each vehicle on your list.
4. Check with local lenders to see what kind of financing options are available.
5. Consult your current household budget and make sure you know how much car you can afford.
6. Use Google, or reach out to a local agent, to research the approximate cost of insuring each vehicle on your list.
7. Make an appointment at ProX Motors, or simply come down to speak with a used car dealer at your convenience.
8. When you arrive, ask to see the cars on your list; visibly inspect each car and don't feel rushed!
9. Ask to go out for a test drive. Never buy a car without test driving it.
10. If there is a particular car you really like, ask to see its complete vehicle history. Any reputable used car dealer should be willing to provide you with this document.
11. Spend some time considering the interior of the vehicle, in particular thinking about its comfort, cleanliness, cargo space, and passenger space. Does it meet your needs?
12. Use the dipstick to check the oil, ensuring there is honey- or amber-colored oil in the tank.
13. Inspect the tires, ensuring they have not taken on too much wear.
14. Following your test drive, inspect the vehicle engine for any leaks or odd odors.
15. Ask to see any available service records for the car.
16. Verify that an owner's manual comes with the car.
17. If you have any reservations whatsoever, ask if you can take the car to an independent mechanic.
18. If you see a car that you like, ask about comparable makes and models that might offer you an even greater value.
19. Ask about any warranties, guarantees, or other consumer protections that come with the vehicle.
20. Don't ever feel rushed! Buying a vehicle is a big decision, and we encourage you to spend time asking your sales rep as many questions as you need to in order to feel confident in your decision.
These are the steps we'd recommend you take as you consider your visit to the used car dealer.
If you have any additional questions or want to set up an appointment with one of our reps, we invite you to reach out to us today. Contact ProX Motors today!